Re: framebuffer console support for different video cards.

Chris Jones wrote:
> The manual indicates that it's just a matter of copying the .deb to the
> config/chroot_local-packages.

jup, that's all.

> Say, I over copy the .deb for a custom version of gnu/screen and add
> gnu/screen to my list of packages.
>
> Now, which "screen" executable will eventually end up in the /usr/bin of
> my live CD..? Does my custom version take precedence over the standard
> lenny version automatically .. or do I need to add a touch of magic for
> this to happen?

the one with the highest version gets installed. make sure your local
one has a higher version, assuming the debian version is 1.2.3-4, by:

  * adding a revision suffix: 1.2.3-4+custom

or

  * adding an epoche: 1:1.2.3-4

> Where kernels are concerned, the issue is different .. provided they
> have different names, I would imagine that my custom kernel(s) will be
> installed alongside the standard kernel(s) .. But right now, on my
> current live DVD I have two kernel images - one that's geared to older
> processors .. dubbed something-486 .. and one that's optimized for
> Pentium III & better hardware with a name that ends in -686.

that's why you have to adjust LH_LINUX_PACKAGES and LH_LINUX_FLAVOURS in
this case.

> I'm more familiar with grub where you get a menu where you can select
> which kernel you want to boot. I haven't had the time to look for a
> way to direct the default (isolinux?) bootloader to boot the "-686"
> kernel but it got me wondering whether I could replace it with grub.

then set LH_BOOTLOADER to grub.