framebuffer console support for different video cards.

Hope I'm not double-posting .. I have a feeling the list was down over
the Xmas holiday..?

Since the generic framebuffer console vga driver does not support my
LCD's native 1400x1050 resolution, I was wondering if there was any way
I could add a custom kernel image with the relevant options enabled.

I would first try this out with the ATI Mach64 video chip, which is what
I have available on this laptop.. but eventually, I plan to include
non-generic support for other common video cards - this would give me
access to modes that are not supported by the generic vga driver,
naturally, as well as whatever "advanced" options are supported by the
drivers.

How would I go about doing this with debian live?

Thanks,

CJ