Re: A few questions about customization

Hello,

> > > I tried that, but the Umlaut keys still do not work.
> >
> > Works fine for me.
> >
> > > I investigated the issue and found out the following:
> > >
> > > If I enter interactive setup I am able to change the locale and the
> > > boot keymap capable of handling German keys and characters.
> > >
> > > But my final image contains two boottime keymaps under /etc/console.
> > > One is named boottime.old.kmap.gz. I think somewhere in the iso
> > > creation process there is reconfiguration of the keymap. Any idea where
> > > to look at to change this behaviour?
> >
> > Must be an indivdual problem, as I didn't encouter these problem while
> > creating a german live disc.
>
> I've created a new iso using a clean config - I just added the
> above "--bootappend-live" parameter. By the way - I use an "up to date"
> Lenny in a VMware environment. After booting the ISO the locale is created
> and all German keys work, but not the Umlaut characters. If I execute a
> 'sudo install-keymap /usr/.../de-latin1.kmap.gz' the Umlaut characters work
> as expected.
>
> Do you use the same configuration?

I finally found that one must use the following parameters to get a fully
working German keyboard:

locale=de_DE.UTF-8 keyb=de-latin1

Probably the nodeadkeys variant works, too. But I didn't tried that ...

Perhaps it should be mentioned in the Wiki's I10N part that one could/should
use use keyboard variants from '/usr/share/keymap' ...

Just in case you have the same problem ... :-)

Greetings,

Dieter