Re: apparent failure to mount /root during boot of netboot image

On Saturday 22 November 2008 07.23:53 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> So, to understand your setup: your live image "lives" in an nfs-mounted
> directory,
> "192.168.53.66:/local/debian-live/binary/live/filesystem.squashfs" or
> thereabouts, right?
>
> I am not at my devel machine at the moment, but there is a script
> somewhere within this init thing which tries to find this boot image
> (trolling through accessible block devices and so on). Perhaps it's not
> finding the live image?

I finally figured this out. You're right, it wasn't finding the live image,
because the path I gave was wrong. The script appends "/live"
($LIVE_MEDIA_PATH) to the root path you pass, so the nfsroot parameter to the
script should have been "192.168.53.66:/local/debian-live/binary" (and
LH_NET_ROOT_PATH when building the images should have been "/local/debian-
live/binary").

Can I suggest that if the mount_images_in_directory() function doesn't find any
images to mount, it should print out a warning or error, including the
directory in which it is looking for images? Or are there valid configurations
in which you might not need to mount an image? The way this broke seems quite
fragile to me.

Many thanks for your help with this!

Andrew