Re: Live-snapshot questions

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 20:47:10 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> I have two questions wrt to live-snapshot (well, two-and-a-half :)

>    Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a buglet somewhere?

Maybe this is a regression, I'll check, anyway I'm rewriting that part, I will
ping you back when I'm finished.

>  (2) Do I have to do anything special to have separate "live" and "home"
>    snapshots? As far as I can see, there is only one COW directory
>    mounted over / -- so any changes (included those in /home) would land
>    in live-sn. But I must be missing something, right?

It could be handly to have just the home snapshot, the use case is if you use
your live system to actually do some work, which probably ends in /home, so
you just save your user environment; another way to use them both is to have
the home snapshot and the root snapshot with the /etc/live-snapshot.list
feature.

>  (3) Now to the half-question: I would like to take another kind of
>    snapshots: rsync snapshots over the net. Would there be interest in
>    it?

Yes, they could be handy, mostly for slow network where having a full network
persistence could be overkill (the snapshot feature was first wrote because
full persistence was damn slow on usb sticks).

>    Would it make sense to provide some hook magic, to not have all
>    the snapshot machinery built in? Ideas?

This could be an idea to develop, a live-helper hook which patch live-
initramfs scripts and the rootfs init script in order to obtain such
feature...

I used something similar in a recent project, a live helper hook which "cat <<
EOF" a script to live-initramfs live-bottom which "cat << EOF" an init script.
That way installing with live-installer will find a not polluted rootfs.

--
ESC:wq