problems with ip-config in live-initramfs

I have been using the net images a lot, and I have been experiencing
intermittent problems when the ipconfig is being run.  The init process
always pauses at this point, often for a minute or so.  I've noticed that if
it pauses for longer than a couple of minutes, it will stay paused there
forever.

Using the debug option to the kernel makes matters even worse.  While it puts
more info into the live.log file, while booting, the debug information is
hidden from the output, making debug less informative than having it off.  In
the circumstances where the init process stalls, the debug option is entirely
useless (unless there's a way to invoke a shell at that point.  I don't know
how to do that).

I'd like to be able to fix this problem.  Can anybody tell me what to do about
it?

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson