debian-live-lenny-i386-standard.iso fails on a laptop dell D800

Hello,
I downloaded & burned the prebuilt image http://live.debian.net/cdimage/lenny-builds/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-live-lenny-i386-standard.iso (I tried also the gnome & kde versions, but they do not fit on a cd even with overburning, so I don't much see their point).
I did check that the image is burned correctly.
Then I gave it a try on my laptop dell D800 (Pentium 1.60GHz).
Changed the boot order to start from the cd/dvd unit.
Well, that live cd does not work.
The splash screen comes up, but all stops mid-way in writing the first message.
Something like "press enter to" and nothing more. No more response, to any key, not even to ctrl-alt-del, it only allows turnoff. Tried several times, no difference.

Please note that on that same laptop the standard debian installer worked just fine: it holds a perfecly running lenny box, with all hardware (but the damn win-modem) dealt with just fine, so I guess some serious fix of the live cd is of order.

I'll report separately on a test on my desktop machine.

Ciao,
        	Nick