HDD installation from Live CD

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> On Donnerstag 08 Mai 2008, Daniel Baumann wrote:
>
>> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
>>
>>> I included the Debian installer and used it inside vmware. When finished
>>> it drops me in a login shell.
>>>
>> if you use 'regular' d-i, then regular d-i is what you get, means, you
>> end up with the same d-i behaviour as on the debian install cds. so no
>> surprise there.
>>

>>> Is there any way to tell it to install exactly
>>> like on the CD (like GUI , XFCE setup ) ?
>>>
>> if you set LH_DEBIAN_INSTALLER=live, then it will use the live-installer
>> udeb inside d-i, making d-i installing the squashfs to the hd rather
>> than bootstraping the regular way from .deb packages. however, it is
>> said that there are still some glitches there and then when using
>> live-installer, don't expect it working yet but you're encouraged to try
>> it, and report bugs and send patches.
>>

> I set LH_DEBIAN_INSTALLER=live. The resulting iso is a lot smaller then when
> using the original d-i. The CD works ok for the live part but does not react
> to typing "install" at the boot prompt.
I have the exact problem building ArtistX (Sid repositories). What
should happen using the LH_DEBIAN_INSTALLER=live option? Should we see a
Install button on the desktop?

Following my last mail I verified that a clean build (only added to a
gnome-core base iceweasel and icedove) won't boot into X except under
Vmware, VirtualBox or other virtualization software.
On physical computers I get an artistx at artistx prompt and only a startx
or sudo gdm will start Gnome.

Any other experiencing this? I will try on Testing today and let you
know if this is Sid-related.

Thanks,

Marco