The Debian Live manual

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 07:48:50PM +0100, Kai Hendry wrote:
> I could imagine contributing more if it wasn't XML.
> http://natalian.org/archives/2008/05/15/10-years-of-xml/
> Why not markdown and a front end like ikiwiki?

One problem I have with my exiting ikiwiki/markdown knowledge bases is
that markdown doesn't have a really solid, good-looking (via LaTeX)
PDF output mechanism, meaning that you can't produce printed
documentation.

Wikis are also non-linear, which also causes problems when you try to
produce printed documentation (which is inherently linear).

Finally, docbook has good support for footnotes, endnotes, sidebars,
appendices, lists of figures and tables, and (in recent versions, as
an extension) some basic formula support.

> I hate editing anything without vim & git.

You can edit docbook with vim and git; it's not docbook's fault if
there's no nxml equivalent for vim ;-)