d-l: custom packages installed/run in the chroot?

Hi Everyone,

Is there some mechanism for installing/running customized versions of
a package within the chroot?  Eg. for really implementing "#443639:
squashfs-tools: please add -quiet mode" I either need to wait for
squashfs upstream to apply my patch and release a new version and
debian to upload it, or otherwise use the patched version in some
other way.  I know LH_CHROOT_BUILD exists for running the package from
the host instead of the chroot "guest" but isn't intended to be used
ATM.

Justin