It's practical to dump an image to a Pendrive ?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:21:26 +0200
Jordi Pujol <jordi_pujol at telefonica.net> wrote:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/Custom_Install

Consider also that if you use the "-rw" support instead of "-sn" (snapshot),
he flash drive is added to the union and so is constantly read from and
written to.  This scheme may be suitable for a hard disc, but is not so good
on a flash drive for two reasons:

1. the limited write lifespan I mentioned before
2. it is slow: when you use a snapshot, you avoid accessing the flash drive
   except when the system boots and shuts down

For flash we recommend "-sn" and use casper-snapshot (live-snapshot
if you are using live-initramfs).  The custom install instructions might be
better structured into two variants:

- hard disc (includes swap, uses -rw)
- flash drive (no swap, uses -sn)

So why don't you try out this variant and update the wiki accordingly?

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org