persistent option

First of all, does your computer BIOS support booting from a USB stick at all?

Also, have you made sure that your partition (should be the first one on your
USB stick of filesystem type 'vfat', normally seen as '/dev/sda1' by Linux)
is marked as bootable? You can use fdisk to achieve this.

Finally, do a 'syslinux /dev/sda1' from your root account to make sure it has
a correct MBR.

As regards persistency:

The easiest way to achieve persistency of your user sessions is by using
the 'live persistent' when starting up your system, in conjunction with
another partition on your USB stick or elsewhere. It should use the 'ext2'
(USB stick partition) or 'ext3' (hard drive partition) and should be labeled
as  'live-rw'.

When using a 2nd ext2 partition labeled 'live-rw' on the USB stick, even
though it works, there still exists the problem of too many write cycles
being used. This causes the flash memory to be worn out too quickly.

J.Neuhoff

On Thursday 28 June 2007 17:00, Enrico Tassi wrote:
> I'm trying to use the persistency feature and I succeded usgin qemu for
> executing the image and adding an hda virtual disk for persistence.
>
> What I'm failing doing is using a real USB device, booting the real
> computer from the live CD. I tried bot with casper (stable) and
> live-initramfs from unstable, but it seems they both fail in finding the
> usb key. How can I debug this? Where should I look.
>
> Cheers

	J.Neuhoff - mhccorp.com