make-live creates unusable binary.img

I have retrieved the latest live-helper package from sid and then ran the
command

	make-live --bootstrap cdebootstrap -d lenny --username usblive  -b
usb-hdd --packages xorg xfce4

which resulted in a 'debian-live' directory containing, among other stuff,
a 'binary.img' file. I copied the latter to an usb stick (/dev/sda):

	dd if=debian-live/binary.img of=/dev/sda

However, it resulted in an unbootable  partition. In particular, files
like 'vmlinuz', 'initrd.img', 'syslinux.cfg' etc. weren't even there.

I assume that the 'debian-live/chroot' is stilled compressed into
the 'debian-live/binary/live/filesystem.squashfs', as was the case in
previous versions. I could manually add 'vmlinuz' etc to the usb-stick and
run a 'syslinux /dev/sda1' command to make it bootable. I might as well
create the 'live' directory manually on my usb stick and copy
the 'filesystem.squashfs' into it. But what is the 'binary.img' good for
then?

Hence my question: Is there a bug in 'make-live'? I'd hope for 'make-live' to
create a bootable 'binary.img' where the user wouldn't have to worry about
anything but copying the whole image to the usb-stick.

J.Neuhoff