Adding kernel modules from source

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best way to add kernel modules to a
Debian Live image if the Debian repositories only have the sources.
I can think of two methods:
One would be to install the kernel- and driver sources somewhere, boot from
a Debian Live CD with the kernel that I am going to use, build everything and
then move the modules to config/chroot_localincludes/.
The other would be to install all sources in config/chroot_localincludes/
and create a hook that compiles and installs everything and then deletes
the source tree from the chroot.
Does any of these methods sound feasible? Is there a better one?

Thanks,
 --j