booting usb images created by make-live using vmware

Tony Godshall wrote:
>  qemu bios -soundhw sb16 -hda debian-live-sid-i386-standard.img

oh well... it seems to be a problem with qemu 0.9.0. when i use qemu
0.8.x, the usb images just boot fine. so, it's most likely a bug in qemu
and not in the images.

> Oddly it hangs for a long time after "loop: loaded" and "squashfs:
> version".  Maybe I need kqemu or a faster CPU (my laptop is a
> four-year-old 1.4GHz Pentium M).

the mounting of the squashfs images it the part of the boot process,
which takes the most time, that was always like that. unfortunately,
this takes even longer when using it in a virtualization.

> It goes to prompt a lot faster with...
>
>  qemu bios -soundhw sb16 -hda debian-live-sid-i386-standard.img
> -append init=/bin/bash
>
> ...but obviously with a lot less running

yep, that's kind of cheating ;P

> I also did some minor edits to your new wiki page- I hope you don't mind.

thanks for your contribution, very much appreciated.