Debian Live on a USB memory stick?

Marco Amadori wrote:

>Alle 15:22, luned? 10 aprile 2006, Chris Lale ha scritto:
>

><snip>
>

>>Is it possible to create a bootable Debian Live USB stick?
>>

>It will be for sure, relevant code should be adder to casper and make-live,
>then you will be able to do that by simply invoking "makelive usb <flavour>".
>

> <snip>
>
>You need to install grub and find that initramfs could find the loop squashfs
>image on the stick.

I cannot get grub to boot from my USB memory stick. This appears to be a
common problem. However, SYSLINUX works fine. For example, I can boot
the initial ram disc for the debian installer (see
http://d-i.pascal.at/) - this method is also now documented in the
Debian installation manual.

Would SYSLINUX offer an easier solution? After all, the live CD already
uses ISOLINUX.

Perhaps a simple change to initrd.gz would do the trick? At the moment,
booting from the ram disc starts OK but fails because it cannot find a
medium in the CD drive (/dev/hdc). I don't know where to make this
modification. My USB contains the following Debian-live files:
    casper/*
    initrd.gz
    vmlinuz

Chris.