Debian Live - Multi-platform CD?

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:11:22AM +1000, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> Do you mean install arch:all packages in, let's say,
> casper/arch-indep.squashfs, arch: i386 in arch-i386.squashfs and arch:
> powerpc packages in arch-ppc.squashfs?

I did some counting lastnight, using the Gnome-Live-CD:

Total Number of Packages 535 (~972 MB)
of which -
444 (~614 MB) Marked 'i386'
91 (~357 MB) Marked 'All'

So roughly a 2:1 ratio of arch-i386:arch-all

Looking at the actual files on the disk (for i386 and all). Making the
assumption that ELF's are not 'common' but everything else is - ie.
looking to common up everything possible.

Total Number of files 37984 (~820 MB)
9723 identified as ELF (~304 MB)

So some merrit in doing the extra work to post process the CD images.
Roughy 3:1 ratio of plain:ELF files -> much more could be 'common'

Despite how 'we' might split common and arch specific parts, would a
multi-arch bootable CD be worth the effort?

Personally I think it would be cool to have a single live-CD which
would boot in i386, amd64, ppc (new world) and mactel.

Simon