Building on Knoppix and Damn Small Linux

pr0f3ss0r1492@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am enthusiast about an official Debian Live cd.
>
> However I caught a cold shower when you declared that Casper (Ubuntu) is
> the way to go and Knoppix is not Debian.
>
> Ubuntu is not Debian, either!
>
> The Ubuntu live-cd took me ages to boot, the above mentioned distro take
> no longer than 30 secs.

Perhaps your Ubuntu live CD does something stupid, like hashing the
entire CD on startup?

> We could at least take the wonderful Knoppix boot and hardware detection
> scripts and the equally wonderful backup-restore scripts from Damn Small
> Linux, the only distro I've found allowing me to carry a full OS on a
> memory stick.

 From http://live.debian.net/wiki/WhyDebianLive:

    It consists of unchanged Debian packages only.
    It does not contain any unofficial package.

> Throwing Knoppix's (and its derivatives') expertise away would be a
> terrible mistake, IMHO.

Expertise like the hideous cloop hack?

> Would I be able to carry my Debian Live on my 1GB stick?

A base Debian system should fit on a 64 MB stick.  I can't imagine how
many bloated desktop environments would be required to push a compressed
Debian root filesystem above even 700 MB.

> Would I be able to run it from an emulator (Qemu) without intoxicating
> my host OS?

That would depend entirely on Qemu, would it not?

> Would I be able to run it on older hardware?

If you have a CD-ROM reader attached.

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds@debian.org