Building on Knoppix and Damn Small Linux

I am enthusiast about an official Debian Live cd.

However I caught a cold shower when you declared that Casper (Ubuntu) is
the way to go and Knoppix is not Debian.

Ubuntu is not Debian, either!

The Ubuntu live-cd took me ages to boot, the above mentioned distro take
no longer than 30 secs.

We could at least take the wonderful Knoppix boot and hardware detection
scripts and the equally wonderful backup-restore scripts from Damn Small
Linux, the only distro I've found allowing me to carry a full OS on a
memory stick.

Throwing Knoppix's (and its derivatives') expertise away would be a
terrible mistake, IMHO.

Would I be able to carry my Debian Live on my 1GB stick?
Would I be able to run it from an emulator (Qemu) without intoxicating
my host OS?
Would I be able to run it on older hardware?

I think many users are in my situation and would like to see this
addressed, or they (we) might stay put where we are.

                          or over the web