Re: [lintian] branch rules-requires-root-classification created (now 0942dcb)

Hi Niels,

Niels Thykier wrote:
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/git/lintian/lintian.git/commit/?h=rules-requires-root-classification
> >
> > I'd be happy about reviews on that branch. If there are no objections,
> > please merge that branch into master.
> >

> Please prefix the new tests with the name of the check.  That enables us
> to run all tests for the given check via:
>
>   t/runtests [options] t debian/test-out <check-name>

Like this?
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/lintian/lintian.git/commit/?h=rules-requires-root-classification&id=2ec1eea4dfa07581268c223cf94f25c906f09085

> > * rules-requires-root-misses-namespace might not be necessary as
> >   building package with a broken R³ field already fails with an
> >   R³-supporting dpkg-dev version.
> >
> >   Then again, building with an older dpkg-dev version might just cause
> >   a warning inmidst of the build log and hence easily overseen.
>
> Personally, I would not bother with this tag as it is impossible to
> build such a package in unstable.

Ok, removed again:
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/lintian/lintian.git/commit/?h=rules-requires-root-classification&id=da42a7795d209fb5ebf7d60170199f081bb4a452

BTW, I've also merged in the master branch again to avoid forgetting
to move the debian/changelog entry to the right lintian version. :-)
See
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/lintian/lintian.git/log/?h=rules-requires-root-classification

Shall I now merge this feature branch back into master?

BTW, Pabs: Did you on purpose not add a debian/changelog entry for
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/lintian/lintian.git/commit/?h=master&id=59a09990badee5391d463442ac0be269b1c6e3ef
?

> > * Building the lintian package with or without the above commit
> >   currently fails for me as follows:
> >
> >     tests::rules-including-deprecated-makefiles: install: cannot change ownership of 'debian/rules-including-deprecated-makefiles/usr/share/doc/rules-including-deprecated-makefiles/buildinfo_all.gz': Operation not permitted
> >
> >   Running only the failing test with "debian/rules runtests
> >   onlyrun=rules-including-deprecated-makefiles" after the build fails,
> >   too, with the same error message.
> >

> Given the tests currently succeed on jenkins, my initial assumption you
> have a "dirty" build environment that affects the test.  I am guessing
> it is related to dh-buildinfo.

Good guess! Removing dh-buildinfo (pulled in via haskell-devscripts
and dh-haskell) makes the test suite pass and the lintian package
build again.

> Ideally, the test should be hardened against "random side-effects"
> caused by a "unclean" chroot. Patches for that are very welcome.

Hrm, doesn't that mean we should add a "Build-Conflicts: dh-buildinfo"
to lintian?

> >   The fix for this seems to be to add the following contents as
> >   t/tests/rules-including-deprecated-makefiles/debian/debian/control.in:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >   So if I add that file, the test passes. Funnily, if remove that file
> >   again (e.g. with "git stash -u"), the test continues to pass until I
> >   run "debclean".

So basically, adding that file would be such a hardening against
"random side-effects" caused by running the test suite locally in the
development directory outside any chroot, wouldn't it?

So should I add that file or the mentioned Build-Conflicts? I'd
consider the latter rather annoying, but acceptable.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin