Re: The Lintian 2.5.2 release and starting on 2.5.3

On 2011-08-11 14:07, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2011, at 23:25, Niels Thykier wrote:
>
> [ snip good discussion ]
>>
>> Goals for 2.5.3
>> ===============
>> I gather a list of things I would like to see in the coming Lintian
>> release.  Once again, feel free to suggest other things:
>>
>> - Check for obsolete perl modules #636994
>>   - they need this "soon" if it is to be useful to them
>> - Make ancient-standards-version check deterministic
>>   - (e.g. no use of time())
>> - Make a lintian-harness frontend
>
> This is a great idea, I currently think the frontend, or at least the last time I looked at it, was a tiny bit confusing.

Indeed; I think re-factoring and code cleaning is in order.  Personally
I also think this is the best (read: only) way to get rid of the two
last scripts in unpack/

>>   - I heard Ubuntu is interested in doing an lintian.u.com, so
>>     perhaps we can use this opportunity to make a proper tool
>>     out of reporting/*
>
> Very interesting. Would it make sense to have this use the new "vendor" profile so that this type of usage could be repeated by others who wanted to use linitian in a similar fashion? Maybe that is what you have in mind.

The vendor profiles are an important aspect in this, I do not expect
that the "lintian-harness" frontend would need to concern itself a lot
with profiles.
  To me, vendor profiles is about telling Lintian which tags you are
interested in.

>>   - this implies making the html output easily "re-brandable"
>>     (not sure of the state here).
>
> Hmm. That sound hard, lots of warnings are going to have the word "debian" in them no?

I was referring to the actual HTML pages, so that would be something
like changing the Debian logo with a $vendor logo on the html pages.
  Personally I do not feel that the tag descriptions will be a concern
to vendors.  The packages will always be "Debian packages" and the
references to various Debian sites will probably be useful to developers
for the $vendor anyway.

>> - Write a "README.developers" to help potential contributors.
>
> +1

[other email]
> Another thing I think would help potential contributors is a link
> to the git repo on the Lintian homepage: http://lintian.debian.org/
[/other email]

That might be a good idea; though it might need to be "re-brandable", so
vendors can refer to their own source repository.  I am not sure here,
but when the time comes we can always ask on d-derivatives@l.d.o.  :)

> [...]

~Niels