Re: The Lintian 2.5.2 release and starting on 2.5.3

On Aug 10, 2011, at 23:25, Niels Thykier wrote:

[ snip good discussion ]

> Goals for 2.5.3
> ===============
> I gather a list of things I would like to see in the coming Lintian
> release.  Once again, feel free to suggest other things:
>
> - Check for obsolete perl modules #636994
>   - they need this "soon" if it is to be useful to them
> - Make ancient-standards-version check deterministic
>   - (e.g. no use of time())
> - Make a lintian-harness frontend

This is a great idea, I currently think the frontend, or at least the last time I looked at it, was a tiny bit confusing.

>   - I heard Ubuntu is interested in doing an lintian.u.com, so
>     perhaps we can use this opportunity to make a proper tool
>     out of reporting/*

Very interesting. Would it make sense to have this use the new "vendor" profile so that this type of usage could be repeated by others who wanted to use linitian in a similar fashion? Maybe that is what you have in mind.

>   - this implies making the html output easily "re-brandable"
>     (not sure of the state here).

Hmm. That sound hard, lots of warnings are going to have the word "debian" in them no?

> - Write a "README.developers" to help potential contributors.

+1

> - The Lintian::Path Class/Object (see "The 2.5.2 upload")
> - Vendor profiles improvements:
>   - tell when we ignore overrides (for non-overridable tags)
>   - check profiles for unknown fields (catches typoes in fields)

+1

Regards,

Jeremiah