Re: [SCM] Debian package checker branch, master, updated. 2.5.0-rc1-9-gb88de18

Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> writes:

> Are you referring to #539760 ? That has just been tagged wontfix without
> any reason given from any Lintian maintainer as far as I can tell.  The
> only thing I see is a wontfix from you with no explanation and a retitle
> from Adam to (presumably) improve the readability/sorting of the BTS.

Bleh.  Apparently all the discussion actually happened outside of the
bug.  That's not very useful; sorry about that.

> Yet, we have removed versioned nagging for quilt for versions in Squeeze
> in 2.5.0~rc1

Right, but quilt doesn't explicitly say to use a versioned dependency in
its documentation.  The rationale here was that the debhelper
documentation explicitly recommends that you set a minimum version bound
that matches the compat file, and I'm fairly sure that in one of the
previous discussions of this I confirmed with Joey that he did mean to
recommend that.

For versions that are older than what's in stable, it's really a pedantic
tag, though.  I was hesitant to remove the check until I did the work to
split it so that the pedantic check could be retained, but maybe it's
better to just make it go away for right now and add the pedantic check
later.

This used to be much more of an issue since there was a much larger
version spread between unstable, stable, and oldstable in terms of compat
levels than we have now.  I agree that in the current world where the only
debhelpers anyone could conceivably use are 7 and 8, it looks kind of
silly.  The main advantage is to make sure people stay in the habit of
bumping compat and debhelper in sync (before Lintian was widespread, I
used to see packages all the time in Debian that had a higher compat level
than their debhelper dependency), but that's really a pedantic-level tag.