Re: [SCM] Debian package checker branch, master, updated. 2.5.0-rc1-9-gb88de18

On 2011-03-13 23:38, Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Niels Thykier" <niels@thykier.net> writes:
>
>> The following commit has been merged in the master branch:
>> commit b88de18c980e9488ffbab7b719874bfd5f354eb6
>> Author: Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net>
>> Date:   Sun Mar 13 09:23:31 2011 +0100
>
>>     Ignore missing versioned deps for debhelper <= 7
>>
>>     debhelper 7 is in all supported releases of Debian, so there
>>     is no point in warning about a missing versioned depends for
>>     anything less than that.
>
> We've intentionally not done this because debhelper says to always add the
> versioned dependency.  See the advice in the debhelper man page:

Okay, I missed that, sorry about that.

>        Once your package uses debhelper to build, be sure to add debhelper to
>        your Build-Depends line in debian/control. You should build-depend on a
>        version of debhelper equal to (or greater than) the debhelper
>        compatibility level your package uses. So if your package used
>        compatibility level 7:
>
>          Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7)
>
> There's an existing wontfix bug about this with further discussion, I
> think.

Are you referring to #539760 ? That has just been tagged wontfix without
any reason given from any Lintian maintainer as far as I can tell.  The
only thing I see is a wontfix from you with no explanation and a retitle
from Adam to (presumably) improve the readability/sorting of the BTS.

To quote Jonas (from #539760):

"""
[...] That could apply to *any* package, not just debhelper.  [...]
"""

Yet, we have removed versioned nagging for quilt for versions in Squeeze
in 2.5.0~rc1

"""
  * checks/rules:
    + [RG] Drop some checks for versioned dependencies that can now be
      satisfied in stable (squeeze).  Thanks, Cyril Brulebois.
"""

According to lintian.d.o we have about 354 (355 with overrides) emitted
package-lacks-versioned-build-depends-on-debhelper.  Of these, the
following packages have (according to l.d.o) a compat of 7 or higher[1].
  37 packages have a compat 7 or higher without B-Ding on debhelper with
a version.  Of these only 2 of them have compat 8 which is a potential
problem (and one of these are overriden).  Current this tag has a
accuracy of less than 1% of possible issues (and the two actual matches
are quite possibly just pre-testers of compat 8 that has not been
rechecked).

So what are the pros of keeping emitting tags for those 99% of the
cases?  And why only for debhelper and not all packages (e.g. we removed
versioned nagging for packages satisfied in Squeeze in 2.5.0~rc1)?

If there is a good reason for it, I will gladly revert that and the
related test commit.  However currently I do not see the argument for
reverting these commits.

~Niels

[1] Manually counted from
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/package-lacks-versioned-build-depends-on-debhelper.html

diploma
emacs23-non-dfsg
eukleides
floatbg
freetds
gkrellmitime
gst-plugins-good0.10
jigdo
libcontextual-return-perl (8 - overriden)
libdbd-informix-perl
libidl
libotr
libpdf-create-perl (8)