Re: Running tests at build time?

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Raphael Geissert writes:
>
> I don't really care that much one way or the other, so don't want to
> really push anything, but I do think that we won't want to maintain two
> separate libraries of helper functions.  So we'll have to figure out how
> to handle that.  It may be that the data fetching and caching is most of
> the common code and that the remaining parsing isn't that exciting.
>
> Looking at refresh-debhelper-data, I'm guessing that the specific bits
> that you're thinking of are the parts to generate the maint_commands and
> miscDepends_commands?

Yes

> BTW, now that miscDepends_commands includes dh_installdocs, I wonder if we
> should bother.  How many packages really use debhelper without calling
> dh_installdocs?  (Originally, it wasn't included, so the exclusion had
> more effect.)

None, I guess. I don't see why we should not keep it around for a little
while and see if anything changes. If nothing happens then that part could
be removed.

>> My only concern with LWP::Simple is the data fetching and caching part.
>
> Downloading and writing a file to disk is fairly straightforward, although
> the error messages are bad if something goes wrong.

Right. I was probably worrying too much.
Adding some code that checks the mtime should be enough.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net