Re: Running tests at build time?

Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:

> I was wondering why the test suite is not run at build time?

> It would ensure that no lintian release fails the test suite and help
> find regressions caused by other packages during the archive-wide
> rebuilds.

We could, particularly since Lintian is arch: all so the rather extended
time that it takes the test suite to run doesn't hurt the buildds.  I
suspect we're missing a bunch of build dependencies to let the test suite
run, though.  (At the very least, CDBS, but I think that's only the tip of
the iceberg.)

The other potential problem is that, provided we're doing our maintenance
work correctly and running the test suite before each upload, the test
suite more frequently uncovers regressions in the test suite rather than
in Lintian's output (such as from dpkg-dev starting to fix some other
problem automatically, causing tests to fail in Lintian's test suite).