Re: Running tests at build time?

Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> The other potential problem is that, provided we're doing our
>> maintenance work correctly and running the test suite before each
>> upload, the test suite more frequently uncovers regressions in the test
>> suite rather than in Lintian's output (such as from dpkg-dev starting
>> to fix some other problem automatically, causing tests to fail in
>> Lintian's test suite).

> Sure, but those very same changes might affect other parts of lintian.

They can, yeah, although most of the time they don't.

> At least the update scripts from private/ should be automatically run
> periodically to detect changes and have up-to-date data.

That I want to have a target for that we just routinely run as part of
making a distribution.  I was holding off on that because right now
there's a bunch of code duplication, and I kind of wanted to write a
general framework for doing those sorts of updates and then consolidate
the scripts to use that infrastructure.  Something where there are a set
of update scripts that all use the same infrastructure and a driver script
to run all of them or something.