Re: RFC: getting rid of unpack-level

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Raphael Geissert writes:
>
>> Some of my concerns are:
>> * By moving the level 2 code to the "unpacked" collection script I had to
>> add a flag so that it can be automatically removed whenever --keep-lab is
>> not requested; but this doesn't allow for the old behaviour of specifying
>> an unpack level for the whole lab.
>
> Via the configuration file, you mean?  This can be addressed by fixing the
> open wishlist bug for providing a way to set Lintian options in its
> configuration file.

No, via --unpack-level.

> I think the way that you're tackling this looks good, and I like the
> auto-remove flag and changing --keep-lab to retain even the collect script
> results that are marked auto-remove.  We can potentially use that flag for
> any other collect script we get that uses a lot of space if we need to.

Sure.

>> * It is currently not possible to exclude a collection script, which
>> removes the possibility of telling lintian to run all the checks that
>> don't need the unpacked data. Adding such an option is not easy with the
>> current order-number based approach; with the introduction of a
>> dependencies-based system care should be taken so that collection
>> scripts depending on unpacked are correctly marked as satisfied (if they
>> actually are) even if unpacked is not to be executed.
>
> Yup.  I think it's fine to break this until we have dependency-based
> checks.  I suspect no one uses that flag right now anyway.

Okay

>> * By getting rid of the unpack-level concept there will no longer be a
>> way to indicate whether packages should only be unpacked, checked,
>> removed on a lab, or whether they should be left there, or what.
>
> I think the right direction to go here is to replace the --unpack flag
> with a flag that says to only run the collect scripts (but run all of
> them).

Right. This replacement combined with the to-be-added ability to exclude
certain collection scripts should completely replace --unpack without any
feature loss.

Summarising:
* First two commits are OK
* Third commit is fine too, except for the commit message
* --unpack needs to be adapted to make it run all the collection scripts
* an option to exclude certain collection scripts should be added once we
switch to a dep-based process.

Did I miss something?

Cheers,
--