Re: binary-from-other-architecture & multi-arch bits

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> Should binary-from-other-architecture be emitted for i386 binaries in
> amd64 packages where the package depends on the 32-bit versions of
> libc/etc. For example, nsis isn't portable to !i386, upstream builds
> with -m32 by default and I use that to give it to amd64 folks. Once
> Debian has multi-arch support I'll be dropping the amd64 version and
> will expect folks to install the i386 package.
>
> Should I file a bug about this, or just override the errors for now?

You should file a bug about this.  I was expecting some problems along
those lines since it's a brand-new check.  Looking for a dependency on
32-bit libc is a good way of detecting this case and avoiding it.  Thanks!

> Also, nsis contains binaries cross-compiled for i586-mingw32msvc, should
> lintian also be warning about those too? Most of them are in
> /usr/share/nsis though.

This unfortunately you're probably going to have to override just because
I don't see how Lintian could know that it's intentional and not a
problem.  Lintian does ignore binaries in known multiarch directories, but
you've got something of a different case (akin to the known existing cases
where you have to override arch-dependent-file-in-usr-share,
arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object, etc.).