Re: Adding checks depending on the availability of information in the data/ files

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>> Today I had an idea on how could lintian help accomplish such kind of RG
>> that require external information that is absolutely not going to be
>> hardcoded. The idea for this specific RG is to add a piece of code
>> implementing that check in checks/fields relying on information that is
>> automagically updated by some external script (but the file distributed
>> by lintian would be empty, skipping that check).
>>
>> This way it would be possible for ftpmasters (which IMHO is the best
>> place for this) to auto REJECT packages uploaded to main unstable or
>> experimental declaring relationships with packages either not available
>> in main, or available in contrib and non-free (the former would catch
>> 3rd party repos, while the latter wouldn't). And since ftp-master knows
>> what packages are available as soon as they are installed a post process
>> hook could update a data/fields/ file thus enabling the check.
>
> Doesn't DAK already have stuff built in to handle this, and regardless,
> isn't it a lot easier to do this sort of check using projectb instead of
> using Lintian's framework?

Don't know about Pre-/Depends, but at least there isn't one for Recommends.

> Part of the reason why these checks don't belong in Lintian is because
> there are other tools for managing global archive state that are much
> better-designed for doing these sorts of queries than Lintian's
> architecture is.

It's a good point, although lintian already does a great part of the job.

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.