Re: Adding checks depending on the availability of information in the data/ files

Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> writes:

> Today I had an idea on how could lintian help accomplish such kind of RG
> that require external information that is absolutely not going to be
> hardcoded. The idea for this specific RG is to add a piece of code
> implementing that check in checks/fields relying on information that is
> automagically updated by some external script (but the file distributed
> by lintian would be empty, skipping that check).
>
> This way it would be possible for ftpmasters (which IMHO is the best
> place for this) to auto REJECT packages uploaded to main unstable or
> experimental declaring relationships with packages either not available
> in main, or available in contrib and non-free (the former would catch
> 3rd party repos, while the latter wouldn't). And since ftp-master knows
> what packages are available as soon as they are installed a post process
> hook could update a data/fields/ file thus enabling the check.

Doesn't DAK already have stuff built in to handle this, and regardless,
isn't it a lot easier to do this sort of check using projectb instead of
using Lintian's framework?

Part of the reason why these checks don't belong in Lintian is because
there are other tools for managing global archive state that are much
better-designed for doing these sorts of queries than Lintian's
architecture is.