Adding checks depending on the availability of information in the data/ files

Hi all,

I believe everybody knows that there was a RG for lenny that was about
making sure pre-/depends/recommends relationships in packages in main were
available in main (i.e. not in contrib, non-free, 3rd party repository).

Today I had an idea on how could lintian help accomplish such kind of RG
that require external information that is absolutely not going to be
hardcoded. The idea for this specific RG is to add a piece of code
implementing that check in checks/fields relying on information that is
automagically updated by some external script (but the file distributed by
lintian would be empty, skipping that check).

This way it would be possible for ftpmasters (which IMHO is the best place
for this) to auto REJECT packages uploaded to main unstable or experimental
declaring relationships with packages either not available in main, or
available in contrib and non-free (the former would catch 3rd party repos,
while the latter wouldn't). And since ftp-master knows what packages are
available as soon as they are installed a post process hook could update a
data/fields/ file thus enabling the check.

Now, the main point of this message is: would such kind of feature be
accepted in mainstream lintian? As I already said: if the file is empty
(that being the "status" of the file shipped by lintian) the check would be
disabled.

I know I must ask ftp-masters if they are interested or not, but wanted to
get an OK here first.

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.