Re: Check All Packages In Repository

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Russ Allbery  wrote:
> "Nathan Handler"  writes:
>
>> I am currently working on trying to create a website similar to [1].
>> However, this site would be for packages in the four Ubuntu repositories
>> (main, restricted, universe, and multiverse). I am already aware of [2],
>> but Lars, the person who created that site, no longer has the
>> scripts. He has given me the go ahead to try and recreate them. The part
>> that I am currently struggling with is figuring out how to run lintian
>> against all of the packages in the repositories. So far, the only method
>> that I have come up with involves downloading all of the packages in a
>> certain repository by parsing the Packages.gz file, and then downloading
>> all of the packages to a directory. I could then use lintian with the
>> --dist option to run it on all of the files in the repository. This
>> method is not very efficient. It would take a long time to download all
>> of the files, and it would also take up a lot of space on my hard
>> drive. I'm hoping there is a more practical way to accomplish this. Once
>> I figure out how to run lintian against all of the packages in the
>> repository, it won't be that difficult to generate the html report
>> pages. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Just to be sure, you've already seen the bits in reporting, right?  The
> harness script there will cope with a local mirror.  You will need to run
> Lintian on a system with access to a full mirror in order to get results
> for the whole archive.

I've been playing around with the harness script. At first, it was
complaining about not being able to find some of the modules that it
needed. I was able to resolve this problem by copying the .pm files
from the lib directory to the reporting directory. Now, it seems that
the only issue preventing the script from running is a badly
configured reporting/config file. Is there some documentation about
each of the variables is used for? Is there anything else I need to do
to be able to run the harness script? I'm sorry for asking all of
these questions, but I've never used these features of lintian before,
and I was unable to find much information by searching with Google.

> I think you're also running into the problem that Lintian only currently
> supports one architecture and distribution area, yes?  Frank is currently
> working on fixing that, although I don't know how far he's gotten.

Couldn't I just run the harness script multiple times for the
different architectures and repositories in Ubuntu?

> --
> Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org)

Thanks for your help,
Nathan Handler (nhandler)