Re: reporting/harness and stderr

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 03:53:44PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:
>
> > As far as I can see, the following trivial patch to
> > reporting/{harness,html_reports} would achieve this. The only thing it
> > loses us is the ability to generate pages for tags which don't have any
> > information in the description file; I'm tempted to say that should be
> > folded in to read_tag_info() instead anyway, as such a tag is fairly
> > fundamentally broken.
>
> What would be really cool is to take random stderr output and turn it into
> tags.  Otherwise, everything that reads the output file (which may be
> things outside of Lintian) has to cope with random non-tag output and do
> something with it.

Ignoring is simple and should work fine in most cases. After all, that's
what we currently do.

> If instead of just forking off lintian and redirecting its output,
> the harness ran lintian via IPC::Run or the moral equivalent, with both
> stdout and stderr returning to the harness, the harness could turn
> anything that didn't look like a tag or an N: line into an W:
> package-chokes-lintian tag before writing it out to the error log.

Hmm, would it be possible to do that inside lintian instead without
introducing too much complexity? I would prefer not to make harness
too intelligent, I would bet we would have to implement that intelligence
again at other places...

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>