Re: reporting/harness and stderr

"Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:

> As far as I can see, the following trivial patch to
> reporting/{harness,html_reports} would achieve this. The only thing it
> loses us is the ability to generate pages for tags which don't have any
> information in the description file; I'm tempted to say that should be
> folded in to read_tag_info() instead anyway, as such a tag is fairly
> fundamentally broken.

What would be really cool is to take random stderr output and turn it into
tags.  Otherwise, everything that reads the output file (which may be
things outside of Lintian) has to cope with random non-tag output and do
something with it.

If instead of just forking off lintian and redirecting its output,
the harness ran lintian via IPC::Run or the moral equivalent, with both
stdout and stderr returning to the harness, the harness could turn
anything that didn't look like a tag or an N: line into an W:
package-chokes-lintian tag before writing it out to the error log.