Re: menu enhancements

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>> Attached is the new patch with a couple of corrections and the following
>> three new tags:
>>
>> * desktop-command-with-path: same as the menu- version of the check
>
> Probably shouldn't be applied; see previous message.

I'm dubious about applying a patch which does the other way around.

>> * desktp-contains-deprecated-header: check for [KDE Desktop Entry]
>> * deprecated-kdelnk-file: check for .kdelnk files (but don't syntax-check
>> them as .desktop files)
>
> I'm very leery of both of these without explicit approval from the KDE
> team.  If they've already been discussed there, could you provide a link
> to the mailing list archives?

No, they haven't been discussed at all because [KDE Desktop Entry] used to
be used in .kdelnk files and using them in .desktop files is totally and
completely *wrong*. And .kdelnk files are of the old times of KDE1
(.desktop files are used since KDE2) so shipping them is as wrong as having
now password for root.

> Expanding the desktop file checks to new files and new types of entries
> have in the past produced tons of false positives and annoyed people
> without really improving package quality.

KDE Desktop Entry is the old name for Desktop Entry, so no prob. with that.
And .kdelnk files (which are the only ones that should be using KDE Desktop
Entry) are not syntax-checked as I already stated (the user would then
first convert them into .desktop files, which is basically renaming them,
and would then get the many other complaints).

Trying to syntax-check .kdelnk files will produce a lot of noise because of
keys that were dropped long time ago.

Hope that clarifies it all.

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.