Re: menu enhancements

Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> writes:

> Attached is a patch that adds a similar check for commands prefixed with
> (/usr)?/bin/ in menu files

This patch is apparently not the right direction -- see current discussion
on debian-devel.  In fact, we may want to go the other way and warn about
commands that don't specify the full path, although that's probably
premature.

Summarizing my understanding of the debian-devel discussion: The menu
entry is for specifically the program included in the package that
installs the menu entry, not for the first version of that program on the
user's path.  If the local administrator wants to give preference to a
version of the program in /usr/local, the correct way to do that as I
understand it would be for the administrator to install a separate menu
file for that version.

I personally don't have an opinion either way, but the consensus in
debian-devel seemed fairly solid.

> and adds a sort of exception for sh and sensible-{browser,editor,pager}
> for menu-command-not-in-package as they are provided by Essential: yes
> packages.

This is a good idea; this part should be committed.  (As mentioned
earlier, I probably won't have time to do so myself before next Monday;
others should certainly feel free to beat me to it.)