Re: more patches

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>> lintian_maint....patch:
>>
>> Adds a check for maintainer scripts modifying the php.ini file (only
>> checks the preinst script as it is "safe" if done on the postrm to
>> rollback the changes). I believe the description of the new tag is clear
>> enough.
>
> The patch that you sent only checks the postinst, not the preinst.
>
> Are we going to catch any packages by checking the preinst?  Doing
> something like this in preinst is hideously broken on way more levels than
> just modifying php.ini.

dh-make-php uses postinst, so I don't expect many other findings, but there
is no reason not to check preinst too.

> Judging from the policy (I think linking to the draft policy would be
> better than linking to the wiki page if it has a stable URL), it might be
> legitimate to warn on postinst modifying php.ini and ask packages to
> override if they really have to do this.  (It would be even better if we
> could check first if they're prompting, but that's hard to do.)

There's no reason to modify the php.ini now, they can drop their own .ini in
a directory and it will be parsed as well. And yes, they often (if not
always) prompt the user before making the change (i.e. doesn't warrant RC
bugs).

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.