Re: Lintian::Collect, version numbering

Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> writes:

> I've begun adding a Collect::Binary module. Could you please take a look
> and tell me if it fits your vision?

Yes, and the one you implemented was exactly one of the ones that I wanted
to see since that code has been repeated all over the checks.  It looks
great.  Thank you!

> I was especially unsure about the usage of the Util functions. Should we
> take the opportunity to move this module under Lintian::, too?

That would be my preference.  I think it should be relatively easy to
move, since it just exports functions that users load into their own
namespace.

The long-term goal is to at least make it possible to install the modules
into the regular Perl module path (although I'm not committed to actually
doing that yet, since I want to think about lintian --root first).

> What would you prefer for error handling in the new modules? die or
> return with some kind of error condition?

My hope for the Lintian::Collect modules is to make the code in the check
scripts much shorter and easier to read, which I think argues for dying
in the Lintian::Collect module on "this should never happen" sorts of
errors, such as corrupted permissions in the lab.