Re: foo++ failing test

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:07:05PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> There's now just one remaining failing test, and I'm not quite sure what
> to do about it.
>
> foo++ has a folded Uploaders field, which used to trigger:
>
> E: foo++ source: multiline-field uploaders
>
> It doesn't any more in testing or unstable because dpkg-source now unfolds
> the Uploaders field for you.
>
> Policy still says that you're not allowed to fold fields, so should I add
> a check of debian/control for any folded fields other than Description
> (which is the current Policy requirement)?  Or since we're moving towards
> allowing folded fields and fixing the bugs in the tools, should we leave
> well enough alone and just remove the error?

We should leave the errors: it remains an error in the .dsc to have it
multi-line. However, the way to specify uploaders in debian/control may
now be multiline, which is useful, and not buggy. Maybe by the letter of
the policy, don't know how it really refers to debian/control as
opposed to .dsc, but if so the policy should be changed. debian/control
is only automagically parsed by dpkg, which puts it folded in the .dsc,
where it's automatically parsed by $therest.

> Right now, the test passes or fails depending on what version of dpkg-dev
> you have installed, but the version that does unfolding has made it into
> testing, so I'm not sure that instability of the test is much of a
> concern.

I'd document in comments above the actual check (and the test) something
similar to what I wrote above -- that the test is expected to never hit
again unless there's a dpkg regression or so.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl