Re: Request for Permission to Use Logo for Merchandise

Hi Rodrigo,

the samples that you have sent look fine and are inline with the general usage permissions as granted by the Debian trademark policy at https://www.debian.org/trademark.en.html

Kind regards,
Daniel
for the Debian treasurers

Am 10.05.24 um 09:02 schrieb Rodrigo Vega Cruz:
Hello!

As I have been talking to your colleague Walter Landry, I would like to include the Debian logo in a series of articles related to Linux and various distributions, including yours.

Therefore, I would like to know what procedure and requirements there are to obtain permission from the brand to do so.

These are some designs so you can see the direction we would like to take:

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

We would like to make more designs, show them to our community and let them decide the ones they like the most.

Please let me know your thoughts and the steps to follow in order to get the right permissions to do such.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Rodrigo.

PD: I also attach previous messages of my conversation with Walter so you get the full context:

El dom, 5 may 2024 a las 23:42, Walter Landry (<wlandry@wlandry.net <mailto:wlandry@wlandry.net>>) escribió:

    Rodrigo Vega Cruz <rodrivega98@gmail.com
    <mailto:rodrivega98@gmail.com>> writes:
     > Dear Debian Team,
     > I hope this message finds you well. My name is Rodrigo, and I am
    writing to seek your permission to use the Debian logo on a
     > series of themed merchandise, specifically t-shirts. These
    products are intended for sale and will feature both your iconic
     > logo and related community memes.
     >
     > Our goal is to celebrate and promote Debian within the community
    through these t-shirts. We believe that this merchandise
     > will not only raise awareness of your distribution but also
    foster a stronger connection among its users and enthusiasts.

     > I would like to assure you that these products are intended for
    commercial purposes, and we plan to conduct this initiative
     > with the utmost respect for your brand and its values.
    Additionally, should this venture generate significant profits, we are
     > committed to contributing a portion of these earnings back to
    your project to support and further its development.

     > Please let me know the steps we need to follow to obtain your
    permission, or if there are any specific conditions or licensing
     > agreements required for using the logo in this manner.
     >
     > Thank you for considering our request. I look forward to your
    positive response and hopefully collaborating closely to make
     > this project beneficial for both parties.
     >
     > Best regards,
     >
     > Rodrigo Vega Cruz
     > Instagram: @danklinuxmemes

    The policy on logo use is spelled out here.

    https://www.debian.org/logos/ <https://www.debian.org/logos/>

    Hope that helps,
    Walter Landry

El vie, 10 may 2024 a las 8:03, Walter Landry (<wlandry@wlandry.net <mailto:wlandry@wlandry.net>>) escribió:

    Rodrigo Vega Cruz <rodrivega98@gmail.com
    <mailto:rodrivega98@gmail.com>> writes:
     > Hi!
     >
     > So, just to make it clear and clarify that I have understood
     > correctly, I just have to include in my webpage Legal/Terms of
    Service
     > that the products using the Debian logo follow the CC BY-SA 3.0 DEED
     > Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported, right?

    According to

    https://www.debian.org/trademark <https://www.debian.org/trademark>

    it looks like you can get a definitive answer by emailing

    trademark@debian.org <mailto:trademark@debian.org>

    Cheers,
    Walter Landry