Updating the PHP license

Hi, all!

Over the years, the open source community, including Debian, has had a few lengthy discussions and disagreements regarding the PHP license.[^1][^2][^3] The TL;DR sentiment of all these discussions amounts to: change the license to something well-understood and less problematic.

So, that’s what I’m proposing to do in a new RFC I’ve drafted for the PHP project: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/php_license_update

I’ve not opened this up for discussion within the PHP project yet, since I’m still collecting feedback, and that’s why I’m sharing it here. I’ve put a lot of work into presenting what I think is a sound and well-reasoned argument for this change, and I’m asking for feedback from this group regarding the method and theory I’m using to go about it.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ben

[^1]: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Flists.debian.org%2Fdebian-legal%2F+php