Re: tomboy-ng package with non standard license.

Hi Folks, time we resolved this question about tomboy-ng and its use of
the KControls build time library.  Its now ten days since I wrote to TK,
the kcontrols author, asking if he would consider a more liberal
license. I have not had an answer and think we can assume I won't get one.

The known facts -

tomboy-ng needs the kcontrols source files at build time. Such src
libraries normally target an IDE and are unsuited to standalone debian
packaging. So a sunset of kcontrols needs to be shipped with the
tomboy-ng SRC package.

kcontrols has a license that while not preventing changes or
redistribution, it does not explicitly grant permission to do so.

TK has clearly, on the public record  stated that my proposed use of
kcontrols is acceptable. This was in answer to a question that stated I
would use a subset of kcontrols and distribute in a debian SRC package.
https://github.com/kryslt/KControls/issues/27 - "It is acceptable, thank
you for asking."

TK still maintains kcontrols but has made it clear he does not have the
time to make changes he finds unnecessary.

tomboy-ng could use an alternative to kcontrols but this would break its
cross platform commitment. This would gravely affect existing users.

My question to the debian legal team is "Given TK's clear statement that
the proposed use is acceptable, but noting the shortcomings in its
license, would you recommend I abandon this project or not ?"

David