Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019, Vincent Bernat wrote:

IMO because the definition of derived work comes from binary linking
(static or dynamic).

The advice I've had did not reason in these terms.

As I know the FRR people think computer technical implementation details like dynamic linkage, and address spaces, etc., are very important here, I specifically double-checked with the solicitor, and my understanding is they are not really relevant here.

Which I guess isn't surprising, as things like "derived work" (or "adapted work", etc.) are legal terms that do not really depend on the low-level technicalities of computer programming.

There are libreadline alternatives licensed under a BSD-like license (like libedit or libeditline). There are API-compatible, not ABI-compatible. If you link the program with libreadline, you have to distribute the result under the GPL. If you link it with libedit, you don't have to. The source code of the program is exactly the same. Is it GPL or is it not?

The API exposed by Quagga could be provided by another project using
another license.

If there had been other completely independent implementations of the facilities and functions provided at present by the GPL code they obtained from Quagga (and GNU Zebra before it), then perhaps the legal advice would be different. I don't know, but I concede it could be - you'd have to ask a lawyer.

Anyway, that's not the reality we're in.

I will stick with the views of those qualified solicitors, over the
view of a software engineer, at least on legal matters.

Maybe these views could be published somewhere.

Sure.

Will do, once Cumulus Networks, 6WIND, Linux Foundation, NetDEF/OpenSourcerouting.org/whatever other corporates Martin Winter or Alistair Woodman or David Lamparter are involved in, etc., publish their legal advice on this matter.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | paul@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: