Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019, David Given wrote:

Being merely dependent on third-party code is not, to my understanding, sufficient to be considered derived code.

If code which is written to depend explicitly and heavily on the APIs and frameworks provided by GPL is /not/ considered subject to the GPL, but 'mere' 'aggregration', one would wonder why the LGPL would ever have been drafted. One would wonder why readline was ever an issue for the BSDs. etc., etc.

Your legal analysis is not inline with formal legal advice given by qualified solicitors, who have examined this issue. That advice is that the code concerned is deriving of the GPL code.

I will stick with the views of those qualified solicitors, over the view of a software engineer, at least on legal matters.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | paul@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: