Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

On 21/03/2019, Christian Kastner <ckk@kvr.at> wrote:
> On 2019-03-21 11:17, Giacomo Tesio wrote:
>> Most of commercial APIs are crap so we wouldn't lose much.
>
> You care confusing quality with popularity/success. POSIX has its own
> share of crap interfaces, but they are prevalent.

No, I know that crap is prevalent in our field.
Indeed I'm not much scared by the idea of throwing it all out with the windows
(pun intended :-D)

>> OTOH Free Software is strong enough to innovate and through a strong
>> enough copyleft, we might create a new and better stack that keep most
>> future software in the Commons, spreading knowledge and collaboration,
>> for the benefit of the whole Humanity.
>>
>> So why do you think that this is a "toxic precedent"?
>
> Because then you'd never be able to provide a compatible free software
> alternative to *any* proprietary solution.

Correct.

We couldn't provide any COMPATIBLE alternative to proprietary
solutions (that do not implement standards).

But we could still provide BETTER alternatives!

But they couldn't provide any COMPATIBLE alternative to Free Software
solution either!

Given the amount of crap in legacy systems, this would resort into a
huge advantage for Free Software!

Giacomo