Re: FRR package in Debian violates the GPL licence

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Ole Streicher wrote:

My example

#include <log.h>
int main(void) { zlog_rotate(); return 0; }

is not an adaption of any GPL code. It is fully written by my
own.

It is written by you, and you have copyright in it (in some way, I have the vague idea there can be complex legal details in that).

However, assuming this "zlog_rotate" function is non-trivial and a copyrightable work, then the holder of the copyright in "zlog_rotate" /also/ has copyright in your work. For your work is based upon the "zlog_rotate" work - it /is/ an adaptation of it.

I know there are many programmers who can't get their head around that, however I don't believe that's at all contraversial amongst lawyers.

Therefore, I don't need to respect the GPL to distribute it. The
same is true for the FRR code as far as I have seen it.

This is where you're at odds with the solicitors I have had advice from.

Otherwise you must point to a certain code file and prove that it contains code which is a modified copy of an GPLed file. Which you not did yet.

I have given examples of files where the legal advice is that they are derived works of the GPL code.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | paul@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: