Re: Are register names and locations under copyright?

Am 11.01.2018 um 10:49 schrieb Paul Wise:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
>
>> The source file would be pic16f1320.inc, which is part of gputils (which
>> is packaged in Debian, the .inc file gets installed to
>> /usr/share/gputils/header/pic16f1320.inc).
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure these files should be in Debian main, a lot of them
> say "Copyright 1999-2014 Microchip Technology, All rights reserved"
> without specifying any license.

However, the files are just lists of register names and locations. So if
the files are not under copyright, I guess that copyright note could be
ignored?

>> For the future (i.e. post 3.7.0 release), SDCC plans to no longer ship
>> the .h files for PIC in the tarball. Instead they would be generated at
>> build-time from the .inc source files in the installed gputils.
>
> That sounds like a reasonable plan, except it runs into the above
> problem. The current situation also runs into that problem though.

Well, SDCC came up with that plan for technical, not legal reasons. SDCC
pic14 and pic16 backends have a build-dependency on gputils anyway, so
not having the .h files in the SDCC tarball is no disadvantange to the user.

Philipp