Re: Are register names and locations under copyright?

Am 11.01.2018 um 03:57 schrieb Paul Wise:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:11 PM, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
>
>> Problem: Hardware vendors want to impose non-free terms on the header
>> files (via a copyright claim on the files that the headers were
>> generated from).
>
> I think we need more details. Are the files the headers were generated
> from publicly available? Do they list any copyright/license
> information?
>
> […]
>
>> For some targets, SDCC already has such files (e.g.
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/sdcc/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/sdcc/device/non-free/include/pic16/pic18f1320.h).
>
> I note this in the file you mention:
>
>  * This file is generated automatically by the cinc2h.pl, 2016-04-13
> 17:23:42 UTC.
>
> In addition to the hardware vendors copyright issue, clearly this
> header is not the source form under the GPL's "preferred form for
> modification" requirements, nor under DFSG item 2 and therefore Debian
> cannot distribute it without the source.

The source file would be pic16f1320.inc, which is part of gputils (which
is packaged in Debian, the .inc file gets installed to
/usr/share/gputils/header/pic16f1320.inc).

For the future (i.e. post 3.7.0 release), SDCC plans to no longer ship
the .h files for PIC in the tarball. Instead they would be generated at
build-time from the .inc source files in the installed gputils.

This however, is just the situation for the pic14 and pic16 backends. In
the future, SDCC might want to also have headers for the stm8 backend.
These could e.g. be generated by some script from the datasheets.

Philipp