Re: IUPAC/InChI-Trust Licence DFSG-Compliant ?

Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de> writes:
> * On 02/26/2018 10:28 PM, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> The LGPL-2.1 starts with
>>
>> | Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
>> | of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
>>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> I am therefore wondering whether the IUPAC/... license text violates
>> itself the LGPL license conditions and cannot be distributed in Debian
>> at all?
>
> IANAL: they have not changed LGPL-2.1, but copied it and released it under a
> different name.

Since the license text itself if copyrighted, its usage (and possible
modification) has to follow the license conditions.

> As far as I understand, it would only be violating LGPL-2.1, if the text was
> changed, but the original name retained (since in such a case, naturally, you'd
> be getting something that isn't LGPL-2.1 under the LGPL-2.1 name).

The license explicitly forbids the change, independent of whether the
result is distributed under the same or under a different name.

Best

Ole